Mark’s Alaska Blog

Back to the good.
We had to call off the scout boat trip to an island cabin because the weather is just too marginal, so we’re going to camp at a local camp ground.  And we’re gonna get wet.  Again.  Real wet.
There was a lull between lows and I already had the boat hooked up to the truck from when I drove out the road today to check on the weather, so I ran down the road to the boat launch and headed to a spot in sight of the ramp.   I caught a small coho in the first 15 minutes and thought – I’m in to them.  Then the wind slowly rebounded as forecast, and I didn’t get another strike for an hour.  Porpoises were slashing around me.  They didn’t look like Dall’s porpoise, but were the color of harbor porpoises.  Only they looked a little big for harbor porpoises, so not sure what they were.  I pulled up the line once and the flasher and hootchie were gone and I wondered if one of the porpoises cut it.
I put on new gear as the wind continued to increase.  I got a larger bright coho on this time.  When I got it to the surface there were other big coho with it.  I thought.  Now I’m really into them.  When I conked the fish with the gaff, I knocked it off the leader.  As it floated away, I gaffed it right in the middle of the body and brought it aboard.  I staggered in the chop to got more new gear on, but thought- I can’t fish too well in this wind, so I turned toward the dock and fished into the cove til I was out of the wind.  Then I cleaned the fish and pulled my gear in.  Fish for dinner tonight, and some for the freezer.   Felt good to be fishing.  Like it almost always does.

Subscribe to Mark's blog via email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.