Blueberry Syrup

Spent a Sunday making more blueberry syrup after finishing filling the firewood bins on Saturday.  The berries seem like they are breeding in the freezer.  A guy can pick alot of berries with a berry rake, especially when they are plentiful.    I put 49 cups of frozen berries in the big pot on the stove and it took hours for it all to thaw and nearly boil.  At that point, I put the berries little by little through the blender, then put everything back into the pot.  I added 11 cups of sugar and brought it back to a boil for another 15 minutes.  It tasted a tad sweet to me, so I thawed out 4 more cups of berries, ran them through the blender, and added them and it was just right.  Some recipes call for filtering the syrup, but I like the skins (and random hemlock needles) in the syrup.  I took the syrup off the stove, and added 3 packets of liquid pectin, and brought it to a boil for 1 minute, and took it off again.  I only used liquid pectin because that’s what I used for the first batch earlier in the winter and it came out good so didn’t want to switch anything.   Then poured the syrup into the 2 cases of pint jars we garage saled this weekend and canned them in a hot water bath.   That should do us for a year or two, depending on how much gets given away 

Subscribe to Mark's blog via email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.